Monday, April 26, 2010

i have a new ukelele!

so i bought a ukelele yesterday at daddy's junky music in west springfield. i am so excited. it cost a little over $60, but is definitely worth it. i had been thinking about getting one a lot lately, and i'm glad i finally got it. for me, a ukelele is more convenient than a guitar right now. four strings is easier for me to play than six, and because of its small size, it can be taken almost anywhere. jon and i kept playing it yesterday....it is so fun. he may even consider getting one as well. i think he should so we can rock out on uke together! he has a few guitars and is still trying to teach himself....he admits he wants lessons badly though. hopefully he can get them in the summer because i see a ton of potential for him to grow...he just absolutely loves guitars.

it has only been a day and i am already picking up some chords! i printed out a two-page chord chart and put it in a plastic sleeve and pinned it up on the wall right in front of me. so far i am teaching myself something, all you need is love, and with a little help from my friends by the beatles, as well as island in the sun by weezer. i got to play for a good half hour when i got back from class this morning. it was awesome. i never thought i could pick up an instrument so fast! maybe someday i WILL learn how to play guitar, but for now, my ukelele is wonderful.

jon came to pick me up on saturday from school to help me escape the havoc from spring fling. thank goodness. (oh! the girl talk concert was friday night....it was awesome....i went out to cheesecake factory with my future roomies..we had a ton of fun)....we went on a tour of umass saturday cause jon is thinking of transferring one last time. it's a lot different to look at such a big school after you have already gone to college for two years. if i had looked at umass as a high school senior, i would have been super intimidated. 20,000 students?!?! it's a really great school, though. if jon got in he might end up living with our friends mike, dan, and andrew....which i think would be really good for him so he has something to do at school. saturday night we went to see OCEANS and it was a little hard for me because i am petrified of whales. but it was a pretty movie....i learned a few things surprisingly, like whales sleep upside down?! what! so cool.

before buying my ukelele yesterday jon and i went to the puppy store at the riverdale plaza first. we played with a little scottish terrier! he was really shy at first, but when he loosened up he was so precious! i would pick him up and put him in my lap, and he would just put his head down like he wanted to go to sleep. and when i finally picked him up to give him back to the lady, he was SO calm. i have never held such a calm puppy....i don't think i could ever handle having a really hyper dog...too much work.

i was in a fairly weird mood yesterday, though. like i didn't really feel like talking. i don't know if it was because my parents were kinda iffy on me buying a ukelele. HEY, at least i didn't go and spend $500 on new snowboarding equipment (which i will need eventually)....i am trying my absolute best to save my money. i have not bought ANY new clothes for myself aside from the ones i have bought with gift certificates. they know me though....sometimes i get bored easily, or maybe wear clothes once and then change my mind....i know i used to be like that. but i am trying my best to be less materialistic and buy only what i NEED (the ukelele is just good for my soul). i am trying to get rid of a lot of old clothes and stuff i don't need. i really want to have a tag sale this summer.....

oh! by the way, i sent a letter to the family i used to babysit (they used to live nearby). the dad works for Hallmark, and since i didn't get an internship with them, i asked him for his help/advice. he said they MAY have an opening around maine/new hampshire....i would love that! but it would be a shame if i had to move there for a couple months this summer and have it be an unpaid internship.....we shall see what happens...i would love to work for Hallmark in the long run....

No comments:

Post a Comment